Monday, October 15, 2012

Houston Writers Conference

The fall Houston Writers Conference has come and gone. For those of you who are not familiar, the HWG puts on a conference twice a year, one in May and one in October. As the HWG webmaster, I always end up working at least part of the conference. This year was our fearless leader, Julian Kindred's first conference. Sure there were some hiccups, but we can only get better.

The conference brought in agents like Janet Reid, Pam van Hylckama Vlieg, April Eberhardt and Gordon Warnock. I had the pleasure of meeting van Hylckama Vlieg and Warnock. Both agents were nice and down to earth. Nothing like the hard-ass Xena Warrior Princess types movies portray. They want you to succeed.

I didn't get a fairy tail answer to my manuscript (i.e. "OMG this is fantastic, This will sell more copies than the Harry Potter series! I am writing up your contract now. Once I'm done, I will contact Summit Entertainment to start working on the movie deal.") I wasn't expecting anything like that. I did float out of my seat a little when Pam van Hylckama Vlieg said that I was a good writer and she expected to see me published eventually.

Both agents gave me a lot of homework. Hopefully I can polish the novel and get it published. 

After the conference, I dug in the dirt. Got a sun burn. Freaked about some spiders and a baby garden snake (well I didn't freak about the snake) and was in bed before 10:00pm. What a weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment